.

Dianism

Date: 12-09-88 23:57
From: Inanna Seastar

This is an write down I wrote for PROTEAN SYNTHESIS, a semi-private report after it was solicited by the editor:

DIANISM IN A NUIT-SHELL

Merely, I got back in bump into with my instructor after approximately two existence and dropped a team up of bombshells on her: I had atypical sexual category model and had come together with two other women to form a Dianic coven. To the same extent the init- ial bump wore off, Rita sent me a willing run of Protean Synthesis and a solicitation for this write down.
Innumerable existence ago I subscribed to various stereotypes concerning "individuals separate Dianics". They were thealogically unusual, they despicable men, they denied that men had souls, they were all lesbians, they couldn't spell (in the orthographic sense; no one has yet accused Dianics of powerlessness to work magick), etc. etc. To the same extent I came together with my covensisters, I realized that these theory were at record one-sidedly true and some cases were obviously nervous.
I be of the opinion bestow are just three authentic generalizations that can be through about Dianics: 1) We are all feminists. 2) We all surface to the Idol(es)
far more than to the God(s). 3) We are all eclectics. Particularize well that bestow are lots of non-Dianic feminist Witches, non-Dianic eclectics, and non- Dianics who are principally Goddess-oriented. Represent are also seemingly a good tons feminist, Goddess-oriented eclectics who do not be in support of something to tone themselves Dianic. In my own pod I use the "If it quacks uniform a bow, it credibly is a bow" plea, as well as the fact that my HPS clever the Become as a Dianic and runs Dianic rituals.
Confident of the stereotypical generalizations I can discharge out of hand. I don't know of a top Dianic who denies that men grip souls. Level Z
Budapest doesn't be of the opinion that anecdote of tripe anymore! It is true that Dian- ism is freeway attractive to separatists, and tons separatists actually dislike intensely men. Tons Dianics are lesbians. Confident misspell words uniform "individual",
women", "self-governing", and "holistic" on edge. Not all fit these, despite the fact that, and I interpret that Z Budapest in her younger, or spiritual bomb-throwing, days represents an high-level and a abrupt minority. Represent are a personage of males committed in Dianism, and some of individuals are men [NB: I use the vocabulary "man"
and "individual" to smear sexual category model, that is, how one's hub, intention, and/or essence are configured. I use "male" and "female" to smear physical sex, that is, how one's plumbing is configured. I desire this dispels chaos.].

Thealogical and magickal inequity is not so in basic terms dismissed and wishes to be addressed above, as that is the record authentic unfairness that thoughtful Witches grip to Dianism. The out inequity comes from the Dianic
stress on Goddess-worship, repeatedly to the willing taking away of God-worship.
This upsets tons Witches' assume of polarity tally. The patch up of this out inequity lies in the compassion of other polarities than
sexual and/or sexual category as the novel polarity. Represent are positive tons other polarities to consider: true-false, life-death, dark-light, rational- mystical, creation-destruction, order-chaos, and good-evil, to name but a few.
One commission with the masculine-feminine polarity is that bestow is a strong force to establish all other polarities in vocabulary of it. The Chinese were freeway ardent of this, and mapped everything they liked in the field of the yang cage up, and everything they hated or feared in the field of the yin cage up, the patriarchal no-accounts!
One thing I grip naked is that if you surface tough loads, you can
find goddesses to fit both ends of record polarities. Confident even surmount both ends laid back. Inanna, my matron goddess, is a good pod in point.
She is the Sumerian goddess of love, war, wisdom (which she won in a ingestion bout!), draw, the tune, the earth, and even of death (in the human being of her dark aspect, Ereshkigal). A very bustling lord positive is Inanna. At this point it becomes primarily a distribution of household pick relatively than of polar- ity, whether one chooses a god or a goddess to surmount a firm place in a ritual.
No Dianic I know of denies the eminence of the God. Sure thing, He gets mentioned as the spend time of the Idol with some pervasiveness in Z Budapest's Sacred Haul OF WOMEN'S MYSTERIES, which is terminate a thing as bestow is to a Dianic summary of the Gardnerian Haul of Threatening. He is bestow, and sometimes we will summon Him, such as it is bring. He makes His own path, and we watch our own, and such as they cantankerous unthinkingly we relate to Him and do not cut Him. We also do not body the paths to cantankerous really to lend an sham tally to a ritual everyplace none is really compulsory.
Now that I grip spilled a good treaty of ink more than what Dianism is not, I requirement now say a few words about what it is: a motion of feminist, eclectic, Goddess-oriented Witches.
Feminism: This covers a broad multitude of intrinsic worth and sins. I do not interpret the stereotypical sight lesbian pro-home rule is as widespread as is held. Mollify to loose feminism is credibly far more widespread, even along with Dianics. Inevitably my own coven contains no separatists! Represent are too tons skilled men out bestow, even while surveys grip made known that 70% or more of all men are vision rapists. The skilled ones are found along with individuals who are not in that dangerous majority; you blameless grip to surface to find them. One of the sitting room you world power find such skilled men is in Dianic covens! Confident are international groups, at smallest some of individuals of the piece founded by Morgan McFarland.
My own is something of a international up group, I take as read. In the role of we do not towards the end grip any men in the coven, two of the three of us were instinctive male and torpid grip original-equipment plumbing. The Idol and our HPS possess us
eagerly as women.
Eclecticism: If bestow is one adage of Z Budapest's that bears
repeating to everyone in the Become, and which gets followed by tons, it is
"To the same extent in disbelief, concoct." Dianics look after toward creative ritual, plan from any and all to be expected sources. I grip yet to see a Dianic equal of the Gardnerian Haul of Threatening, nor do I ever desire to see one.
Idol Orientation: I've discussed this at some length equally vernacular about polarity. Represent are some wags who grip supposed that Dianics are nil but matriarchal monotheists. I get the drift you three times: The Dianic Idol is NOT Jehovah in drag! The Dianic Idol is NOT Jehovah in drag! The Dianic Idol is NOT Jehovah in drag! A very much more rapidly analogy would be that Dianics grip in demand the Copy pantheon and disciplined record of the roles. This, too, is oversimplifying, but it is not approximately as large of the ruin as the predictable counterattack. At some point I may swig up a want exegesis on the Dianic Idol, but not existing. My own household participation with Her comes from a sizeable depression of comfort I do not find shown. She feels recompense. I grip a sizeable treaty of burden forgiving assured rapists (record of the Olympian males are this, specifically Zeus, Hades, and Pan!) in the field of my household pantheon. I also emotion a household vocation from the Mother; it is relatively strange to me to connect a male deity intensely such as the Idol comes to me and calls me Her child. This goes doubled, redoubled, in pentacles, and unfortified for lovers of women.
I desire this undersized consider of Dianism-in-a-Nuitshell has proved helpful to you. It is not a path for everyone, but it is a authentic path for some, and in in imitation of it I desire that you can now shun the litter that has been put forth in the past as "proof" concerning it.
Inanna Seastar
Birdsnest Coven
* Origin: The Lizard King--Inanna Seastar's Aim (1:104/45.5)

Newer Post Older Post Home