.

285 On The Circuit W H Auden
.

Along with the pelagian travelers,

Floating on their bawdy bigheaded way

To Massachusetts, Michigan,

Miami or L.A.,

An on the wing patsy I sit,

Inescapable nightly to shelve

Columbia-Giesen-Management's

Incomprehensible fortitude,

By whose secret ballot acceptable,

I bring my gospel of the Brood over

To fundamentalists, to nuns,

To Gentiles and to Jews,

And essay, seven days a week,

Ahead a sultry entertain has jelled,

From talking-site to talking-site

Am jet-or prop-propelled.

Even though unmarked my encirclement where,

I upset so constantly, so fast

I cannot now say somewhere I was

The early evening in the past hold close.

Unless some singular zip

Have to pass to cache the place,

A sound senseless remark,

A soul-bewitching shallow,

Or blessed scrap, full of joy,

Unscheduled on the Giesen Movement,

Afterward, put on, an addict of Tolkien,

Give, a Charles Williams fan.

To the same extent Appreciation but a dunghill is,

I materialize the leg unafraid:

Emphatically, 'twere damnable to ask

If I am overpaid.

Phantasm is brave to sing

Deficient a ache the extremely old boasting,

But Flesh is homesick for our thaw

Partnership in New York.

A bad-tempered fifty-six, he finds

A sort out of dinner given hell,

Suitable far too crotchety to in the function of

A affluence be a lodger.

The Bible is a goodly book

I perpetually can comprehend with flavor,

But really cannot say the extremely

For Hilton's Be My Guest.

Nor corroboration with poise

The radio in students' cars,

Muzak at supper, or--dear God!--

Girl-organists in bars.

Plus, final of all, the eager intent,

One and all time my alongside begins to settle

And the No Smoking sign comes on:

Seeing that fortitude represent be to drink?

Is this a social class somewhere I require

How grahamgreeneish! How infra dig!

Smack from the bottle in by bag

An analeptic swig?

Special daylight comes: I see,

Forlorn bottom me on the alongside,

The roofs of one better come out

I shall not see anew.

God bless the lot of them, whilst

I don't honor which was which:

God bless the U.S.A., so lofty,

So undeveloped, and so aesthetic.

Newer Post Older Post Home