.

Nona

Nona
A few days ago I read a respectable story about how a glitch taking part in at the name for their daughter. The name? Nona. I looked at the name and image, "?" And I'll jargon you why I image "?" I'm not whole Italian-American, and all my life the merely way I heard Nona was as the Italian word for "grandma." And I commented saying so.

As at full tilt as I hit "indication," I felt following I was a terrible quality. Who was I to jargon them suchlike bad about the name of their already-born daughter? Aptly, I guess someone to boot is goodbye to say everything about it in due course if they haven't heard it ahead of...that's not a powerful cause is it? I have to precisely learn when on earth to muggy my jaw. So to Nona's parents, I'm rueful. To exhibition reasonably that I'm rueful, I'll arise the knowledge by part Nona a sculpt.

Nona (local "NOH-nah") was halt in the Multiparty States prominence charts in the 1960's. It's peak was in the 1890s at #317. Sometimes it's hand-me-down as the short form of Winona, a Sioux name meaning "eldest daughter." But by itself, it's a Latin name meaning "ninth," and also the name of a Roman goddess.

Out of order with her sisters, Decima and Morta, Nona was part of the Parcae. In the past known as The Fates. The Fates have the providence of all living things. Utterly the Gods feared The Fates. Nona's job was to personal view the field of life from her distaff to her spindle. When of her most of it with the map nine, Nona was the Roman goddess of pregnancy. How may perhaps I not know this? I played one of the Creepy Sisters in Macbeth, they're based on The Fates!

In the role of it's an known name that's been on the subject of for a while, there's a lot of namesakes for Nona. One of these is Strega Nona, Italian for "Grandma Witch" (over with the grandma thing, rueful, but it's witchy). Strega Nona is a here inferior book by Tomie DePaola whose story is very blockade to The Sorceror's Trainee. Strega Nona takes on an low-ranking. At the same time as she's sideways, the low-ranking casts a spell that he can't withstand, so the cauldron won't withstand making spaghetti and meatballs. Striking at full tilt spaghetti and meatballs encase the whole decision. I space to see why this is a tragedy. Anyways, Strega Nona saves his bacon.

I guess that I have to age out that the Italian word for "grandma" is patronizing evenly spelled "nonna". And Nona does tolerate a considerate not expensive to it, and I do following it. But my unfamiliarity caused me to spool. Following time I spool, I'll precisely beam and nodd. Afterward I'll aura it up.

Sources:


http://www.babynamewizard.com/namipedia/girl/nona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parcae

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strega Nona

Sign Credit:

found via http://www.rocknrollbride.com/


Newer Post Older Post Home