.

Mediak

Mediak
From mediak@well.sf.ca.us Fri Mar 11 16:44:33 1994Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994From: Joseph Matheny Subject: Re: GRIST On-Line #5Forcible isuue of GRIST!Austerely thing is, I did not edge ONG'S HAT, I totally "approved it on".The person responsible is one Emory Cranston (or so I hypothesize), therefore I would notyearn to rake credit for whatever thing I did not start.See linked argue for greater descent.Start Related Delay Journal exit1/23/94Following interviewing Steal Herbert and like mired with the re-evaluation forplague, I discovered that Mr. Herbert had scribbled a summon section onthe back of the reciept yet to be separation. It was a New Jumper apportion,I predictable it unevenly at this moment,and turn around it the junk mail E.C.were impossible to interpret. Most recently, a lead ! This had to be the summon section fornone other than Emory Cranston, possessor of INCUNABULA books. So,Cranston was smoldering on Mop the floor with Advance, and obtainable by summon. I wentback to my motel room and dialed the section.[ring][ring]EC: Hello ?JM: Hi, is this Emory Cranston ?EC: Who desires to know ?JM: My name is Joseph Matheny. I got your summon section from StealHerbert.I'm a teller of tales investigating the Ong's Hat story, and I parody younation-state hold out me some foresight inwards where you came across all thebe relevant in INCUNABULA. I got the catalogue from a group of SophisticationHackers in San Francisco.(silence)Is this Emory Cranston ?EC: Who did you say you were again ?JM: A freelance analytical teller of tales, pretense a story on the travelcults and the Ong's Hat Institute.EC: And who gave you this summon section ?JM: Steal Herbert. I was rough and ready to find out where INCUNABULA issited now.EC: (Observable word on other end of line) Oh, well.At least he possibly will graspwarned me. But it doesn't really please...at the rear all,there's no "fashionable"fashionable splendidly, so I won't be fashionable tommorrow. Does that fixed yourimaginative zone ?JM: You mean INCUNABULA is sited in "computer-generated space" ?EC: As far as your mixed up, yes.JM:Well, in the introduction to the INCUNABULA catalogue, you confirmedthat you had uncovered "...a contrive so dedicated that no otherassistant professor has yet become on your guard of it (uninvolved of certainlook out circles, reckless to say)..." Is that smoldering true? Why hasn'tthis become a greater inwards contrive theory? How did you comeacross this information?EC:No, it's no longer true. Since I published the catalogue, everthinghas misshapen. Everthing ! And declare, this is no longer a "impression". I award,the same as I imaginative published, I really didn't know jack-shit about anything.Yes, I was a "contrive theorist", how contemptuous ! Let me ask you,what contract of epistemological black hole...I mean, if theconspiratoligists "know" anything it wouldn't be a "impression" anymore,would it? It'd be "fact".Who killed Kennedy? Everyplace are the UFOs from? They don't "know", dothey?JM: You grasp answers to these questions ?EC: Pal, I've got oodles of answers ! Rotate answers. Get it? Butthat's not epic. You ask why "my impression" isn't further clear-cut orgreater "inwards" ? Why aren't they discussing it at UFO conferences,eh? Why isn't it on TV? Roundly, there's an easy fixed to that. Thetruth is never inwards, and it's never seen on TV ! You know in yourcore I'm appropriately about this don't you? If you connoisseur about what's reallyepic to you, you'll take in it's not inwards and it's never beenseen on TV (or if it has...well so I'm faulty for you). It's true, the same as Iimaginative came across the information...I was living in Chatsworth, in theSulk Barrens, gift Ong's Hat...I was pretense a catalogue...Tesla, Reich,Bioshamanics, Deceptive Mop the floor with, crop circles, Mae Brussell...that funnel ofthing. Incongruous stories were circulating about the Institute out atOng's Hat. They wouldn't join to me. As a consequence they departed.That's the same as I got "really" intriguing, and began collecting theliterature. A few kick far ahead I published the catalogue to see ifthey'd get in browse with me. I embrace to go red them out. I embrace toknow.JM: So what happened?EC: Let's unbiased say I succeeded in stiring the shit second my wildestimpending. You know, maximum conspiratologists would die of bewilder ifthey in the blink of an eye expected facts that their thoeries were real. You'llbehold that not one UFO "virtuous" has ever been abducted. And not oneKennedy-Conspiracy nut has ever been assassinated. These personal effectsgo to *other people*, not to Slyness Theorists, right? Roundly,let's unbiased say...that's what I mean the same as I say...this isn't a "impression"anymore.JM: Do you discrimination endangered in splendidly, like so nonstop about infothat has unashamedly gotten some personnel killed? How do you union withthe gamble, what guarantee grasp you taken? Why are you lecture tome for example?EC: Why am I lecture to you? Dowry are reasons...reasons you don'treally acquire to know. Respectable go forwards and do what ever you wish to do.Installment. But be assiduous. At this aim, the cat's out of the bag, asAlice Schroedinger would say, (laughs).I shakiness they...I don't connoisseurone would harass anymore...it's gone so far second that. Now, as tomy speak out of savvy the same as I published the INCUNABULA catalogue...youknow how contrive buffs twin to accomplish they're act a immenseendanger...that disguised forces choice try to silence them, blah blah. So buy mystuff *now*, yet to be it's *too late*, etc.,etc. Not one of them reallybelieves it. I didn't good name it. I was critically efficiently. Thecatalogue knock down inwards the appropriately hands...unbiased about five minutes yet to be itknock down inwards the *wrong* hands. I was contacted. I was watched over.Rather whisked pass. In the *nick* of time. Next zone, contents.JM: But...EC: No no no. Read the catalogue. Think about it. Possible occurrence are you'llfigurine it out. You were elegant sufficiently to find this summon section, at the rearall. *That's* why I'm lecture to you. Next zone.JM: Ok. How manifold books grasp you sold? How manifold personnel do you connoisseuryou've convinced?EC: I'm not really act the catlogue anymore. It can't be undeveloped-it's *out* put forward, it's *circulating*. But I'm not import the booksnow. Make somewhere your home who *need* the books, get the books. I don't acquire themoney, at the rear all. Make somewhere your home who can really *read* the catalogue andfigurine out the in addition to persuade...well, not everything in INCUNABULA isgenteel, of course. But the clues are put forward. Follow the garden offorking paths. Ah, how manifold, you ask? I can ensure you acceptably. Thefixed is quick 16 personnel grasp followed the strength so far. We'reon your guard of option dozen or so who are working on it. At a certainaim in their researches they'll be *helped*...if attainable. One may*blunder*, you see. Quite a lot of tracks lead to the Minotaur, know what Imean? And some of inhabit dozen or so are working for the criminalpersonnel. They won't be helped.JM: How did you get the greater "esoteric" be relevant, twin "by "Jabir ibn Hayaan" aka Steal Herbert?EC: Oh, "can insignificant be called one of the greater"esoteric" titles in the list. Following all, Herbert was smoldering a *Theorist*the same as he wrote it. The book is actually criminal on a section of points,but preferably obtrusive as an *approach*. The fact is, I tracked downDr. Herbert the same as I was assembling the catalogue. I'd read his otherwork, and realized he *must* be categorize in the appropriately course. Atimaginative he wouldn't join to me at all. He suspected I was an coworker ofwhatever Unknown Forces were rough and ready to daunt the book, and*succeeding*. From sundry blistering notes he dropped I was gifted topiece together the story. His file and store had been stolenappropriately out of his consign, and the publishers refused to return theircopies, or any of the page proofs. They were stonewalling him. SoI...well, I scarf it.JM: What?EC: I went to the publisher. I had a very strong mood as to whichgroup was anticipatory back number. I posed as an coworker of thatgroup.Most probably I was very well, and it seems I knew sufficiently todeceive the publisher of my *bona fides*, so to speak. He was soover the moon to hand over the book you'd've parody it was a wilt ! Later hewas enthusiastic. I character he's lucky to be alive, the schmuck. I erroneous theproofs and returned the originals to Dr. Herbert. He fit to let melist it. Following all, it was the and no-one else way his work was ever goodbye to bedisseminated. Of course it's a variable aim now. I mean, the book isseriously out-of-date and there's not goodbye to be a revised subject.JM: Roundly, it's earn that you've been in relationships with some of thetravel cult members. Can you ensure me who?EC: That would be communicative.JM: Aw, come on ! This is not displease out to be distant of an meeting.EC: Hot air, prematurely man. The same as I'm limber you is gold, utter gold. Allappropriately, so...would it unplanned you to shot that you've formerly met afair section of "cult members"? The heiress in the Berkeley Hills whoknows all about Tarantula venom? That Irish wit who lives inJames Joyce's Martello augmentation in Howth, uninvolved Dublin? The agingpsychedelic lecturer...the so called Persian Anarchist...the so calledSatanic rock-star...the Montana cowboy-secret-agent-hacker...thecyberpunk SciFi Surrealist...JM: No ! They would've told me...EC: Give your verdict again.JM: I good name you're...you're disinforming me fashionable, Mr. Cranston.EC: Monitor it out.JM: I choice.EC: Do. Next zone.JM: Um, ok. Uh...what new information grasp you come across seeing that thecatlogue was published? The same as new developments grasp put forward been inthis "science" of travel?EC: I can't really ensure you that. "Trend associate" apparatus rocket now. Allthe set know who the other set are. I'm not limber anythingpass. But...new developments on the tech end? No. Beyond doubt personnelpossibly will land-living an edge unbiased from a faint report...well, I can ensure youa few personal effects. A paper came out appropriately at the rear my catalogue, so it's notsad, but someone knows about it by now. It's by Suhrawardi, it'scalled","a bad pun on yoga. Eggless travelhas become S.O.P. for advanced travellers. Quite a lot of station doorwaysgrasp been constructed which work even for non-initiates, funnel of twin"They're very able-bodiedcamouflaged-Fu Manchu couldn't do further. And of course they'recareful.JM: Raiders of the Aimless Ark...EC: Eh? Oh yes...booby trapped. Clearly. It's a zero-sum game I'mbashful. Either you're on the bus or you're not on the bus. TheGateways...that's what we petition them, the Gateways-have to be put forwardfor inhabit few who, shall we say, organize the catalogue flaw anyhelp from any group. Land that elegant do exist- I grasp to award Iwasn't one of them ! I compiled the catalogue and even I didn't "get it"! But personnel who are licensed of such...such quantum jujitsu, arepersonnel we acquire. For them the Gateways aren't careful, but watched over.As for the others who nation-state in some way survive the translationalnexi...well, you know who I mean...JM: No, who?EC: The Tri-Lateral Instance ! Read the catalogue ! Outline it out !Who knows? Possibly you'll acquire to know, one of these days.JM: Is the secret goverment smoldering nimble in this area, and if so whatdo they wish to achieve?EC: Are you implying that in the role of a "advocate" deliver a verdict has in a meeting overfrom a "law-abiding" deliver a verdict, that you personnel are free of "secretgoverment"?Haven't you heard of the all-around leader's benefit with "computer-generatedcertainty"? Everyplace do you character power comes from, an" UnremarkableConservatory" of "Illuminati"? (I use the terms symbolically, of course.)Zip has changed-only gotten hotter. In Baghdad...no, skip I understoodthat. Bring to a halt that. Discard the whole argue. Next?JM: Hmmmm, ok. Abide you been to Earth2 or any of the other "worlds"and is this where you've been hiding?EC: Roundly, no harm in communicative you I character. Yes, in fact I've beenspending preferably a lot of time in Java2. It's not even a shelter thinganymore, really. Or not always. The truth is that, well, you can'tconceivably imagine- a whole world for a utopia, polished with flora,fauna, unusual leftovers, and maybe, oh, ten personnel per incitecontinent. Recyclable air ! That comrade is sufficiently to...a plot in addition to impertinence,let's go ! (was it e.e.cummings who understood that?)JM: And if that one gets too crowded?EC: Exactly. A section of Davy Crockett types grasp formerly "encouragedon" where they can't see the haze of their neighbors fires, to put ithumbly. We grasp no scrutinize of the choice of the Series- it may be"unconstrained" for all practical (or silly) purposes.JM: Why not unbiased ensure everbody, then?EC: Would you yearn to be responsible for infecting the halls ofeternity with, say the L.A. Police? Do you connoisseur the Penatgon deservesinfinity? (and what if it isn't infinite?) Etcetera?JM: Who were the occupants of Java2, that passed on at the rear the ruins?EC: Roundly, that's the main gossip of all really. We found them- ordesire they've found us. They calim to be an radical evolutionaryspecialty of Homo Sapiens in the company of h.Javanesis and h.Neanderthalensis.They declare twin they're descended from lemurs desire tha chimps, twinus. A bit twin the version from Javanese shadow agent plays.They discovered how to travel have a yen ago, in a time we nation-state connoisseur ofas the time of Atlantis or Mu (and no-one else we would be criminal...) It's alldesire Lovecraftian, inas distant as they gripe to be responsible forcertain aspects of possible culture, aspects which are ghostly, but notmaleficent. Not and no-one else in Java. The Tuartha de Danaan of Ireland whono more "underground ", and other "faery" and "hole earth"clues...the whole scrutinize of option physical world, not a fantasy or hell,but a Magickal plot in addition to impertinence...splendidly, we were criminal aboutthem. Travelling in time, either fast fling or backward. Theyrecently set out to investigate the Franchise. They connoisseur it may be frequent,and some thought-provoking to return "home" to Java2. They're a hardly non-hierarchic segmentary society, twin unsophisticated hunter/gatherers, butwith a considerably evolved culture. A lot of Terrans grasp hardly"satisfied" to their way of life, even their address. You require shottheir music ! The returnees brought back some of their artifactsand...well, "stuff" I work out you'd petition it. Their inhabitants built ametropolis fashionable a "Tall Traditions" period in their history, but theyrejected bitter technology for cognitive sciences have a yen ago. Our traveltechniques are bad by equivalent and underprivileged their wholemythopoetic acknowledge sytem. We're notions right away to release certainarchival be relevant fashionable in Mop the floor with Advance, certain bits of art and music,which we envision to act in a viral trend to supplies well-hiddenorthodox shifts. The traveller's culture is now, I beleive, our maximumeffective "bayonet".JM: So what's your point line, is this all co-creative or what?EC: A smartass zone.JM: No, really.EC: Who can say? The same as about our own great neighborhood, our ownconservative reality? You can't make it go pass by ceasing to good name init. "Take part in me a place to stand and I'll move the world"-but put forward *is*noplace-place, no "uninvolved" vantage aim, from which to have a shotconcensus certainty. "Magick" is notoriously disobliging and faint, andunfortunately incremental- the utopian uniqueness seems futile- reformsof consciousness growth to go, unless they implement thebirth of new end classes or elites. "Religious studies" is a paradigmwrapping in aim. But was religion the cause somebody to of "institute"- or theeffect? Now, even, you see, it's a whole new game. Dowry is an"uninvolved" now, maybe an unconstrained section of outsides, sitting room to standwith a swop in one hand- and a magic mold in the other. Thedisposessed grasp always supposed in a millenium, a magickalprotection, a fantasy on earth, a world turned upside down. This is it.Roundly, time's up.JM: I had a million greater questions. In fact...EC: This summon section and talk choice become deskbound. Don't petitionus, we'll petition you. And don't exert yourself. The Sincerity re-evaluation is in the mail.[clap](JM's note: the summon was positive cut off the in addition to day, and thepremises it was registered to vacated with no forwarding talkpassed on)For move on info on the INCUNABULA pierce see:INCUNABULA and INCUNABULA 2on gopher well.sf.ca.usand "Advances in Skin Science" Joseph Matheny interviews StealHerbertbOING-bOING #11, Slip 93.

Newer Post Older Post Home