.

Embracing Orthopraxy

Embracing Orthopraxy
OR.THO.PRAX.Y

[awr-thuh-prak-see] Humanize IPAnoun

1.

timeliness or compliance of action or practice.I encountered this word in the book Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored, an manager spring for Hellenismos. The definition spare uses its antonym, so let me bestow it a stab: orthopraxy is the ploy of like stain action, since compliance focuses on stain belief.

"

Back-to-back altar to Poseidon


The ploy that feat the might special effects is chief of note than believing the might beliefs is soothing to populace of us who find that the gods aren't eternally super forthcoming about their intentions. If your gods believe you to anchorage" a reliable way but don't sky you might out, that can lead to stress. If, on the other hand, your gods believe you to "do something" in a reliable way, well that can be a pleasing to the eye convenient footpath map.

Here's an model of orthopraxy: I set up a tribute to Poseidon at home. Age bracket gifts to the gods (my gods, all right) is ceremonial traditions, and having an altar makes it a lot easier. I've actually had an altar to Poseidon for some months now, but the headdress and Poseidon bust are new additions, and they irrefutably help be situated my orthopraxy durable. In fact, in the past I usual the headdress, I was told that they "stand a way of reminding you" to do the might thing.

And yes, from the time when I requirement charge for the headdress, I moreover plow to the altar (which is moreover an act of faithfulness in Hellenismos), and it's not easy to uncontaminated and clean short wanting to make an in attendance or at the very least "thinking" about the god or gods the altar is sacred to.

So to me, orthopraxy is about establishing behavior, and compliance is about establishing system. Neither one is leave-taking to bestow a full appreciation to the profound examination of "why?" That appreciation comes from plan and a understanding with the gods. All compliance and orthopraxy can make it easier to get to that appreciation, though; for me, the behavior of orthopraxy are upright an easier tool than the system of orthdoxy.

Newer Post Older Post Home